Monday, October 3, 2011

Assignment 6

The 60 Minutes episode we watched in class was the story of Beckett Brennan, who was a female basketball player at the University of the Pacific.  She was out partying one night when she was offered a ride back with members of the mens basketball team.  The men then took her back to her house and had unconsensual sex with Brennan.  She failed to report the case to the police and then later took the issue to a school board, which then suspended one player for a semester, one for a year, and one was expelled.  What I took from the way this story was told was that only the mens basketball players were to blame and the show made them out to look almost thug like.  The story was told from strictly a women's only point of view, the only male that was interviewed was Brennan's father.  This case brought a number of flaws to my attention, such as lack of response to rape case by the university, flaws in the justice system, and the flaw of having a mostly student review board sentencing.

Now for my own project, the story that is being told so far is that there have been too many serious head injuries in the National Football League and what needs to be done to prevent these injuries.  The way I'm going to be steering my paper is how player safety is evolving and becoming more of a priority throughout the whole league.  I have a source from a player currently playing in the league and how he's overcome multiple concussions over last season.  I feel that this gives me a good perspective to work with and gain insight from.  I also have a source from the league's commissioner, which will allow me to see how the man in charge of everything is dealing with this issue.  One of the perspectives that I'm missing and need to find is the medical information about concussions.  Short term effects, long term affects, and any medical journals and studies will help me gain more knowledge on the medical perspective of this issue.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think this is a start. But, how did you change your research question? (As I said earlier, I was not going to approve it as it was, so you need to show me that you have revised it).

    In terms of perspectives on this issue, what OTHER ones seem to be missing? Maybe psychology? Media studies? Sports?

    ReplyDelete